[time-nuts] Home made GPS disciplined atomic clock

Francesco Ledda frledda at verizon.net
Sun Jan 25 17:43:08 UTC 2009

The challenge is to detect a failure of the GPS source (LOS) before the DPLL
moves the OCXO.

I used to design Stratum clocks for a large telecom company, and I used
several trick do detect a phase ramp on the digital phase detector; this was
used to declare a probable bad source.  At that point, we halted the
movement of the DPLL and observed the phase detector activity. We had two
DPLLs, and if both detected a phase ramp, we declared the source bad.