[time-nuts] Setting loop TC using thunderbolt internal data.

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 22:01:17 UTC 2009

Bruce

If the Allan deviation plot is symmetric about the minimum then the
Allan intercept and the minimum have the same value of tau.
If the plot is asymmetric about the minimum then the Allan intercept and
the minimum dont share the same value of tau.
The shift is usually around 24% or less with the Allan intercept tau
shifted to the steeper slope side of the minimum.

The Hadamard deviation is insensitive to linear frequency drift, however
it has a different phase noise transfer function than the Allan deviation.
Thus the Hadamard minimum is at best indicative of the Allan intercept
location when linear frequency drift is corrected.

NIST SP1065 (http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/2220.pdf) is a good
starting point as it includes a comprehensive set of references.
However one should bear in mind that ADEV, OADEV, TOTDEV, Theo_1 etc are
merely estimators for the Allan deviation.
ADEV is not the Allan deviation it is merely a poor estimator for it.
The other estimators make progressively more effective use of the data.

Bruce