[time-nuts] Motorola M12+ or M12M questions

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jul 7 10:29:38 UTC 2009

> 2) along with the gps time signal, information is broadcast to relate
> gps time to utc. whenever there's a step change in these corrections
> (such as on midnight 31/12/2008), how does the unit react? 2.1) in
> particular, how quickly does the time code reflect the change, and is
> the 1pps affected in any way?

Check the data sheet on the unit.  It probably has a section describing the
leap second stuff.

They happen infrequently enough that you can usually get the info by other
means.  I'm sure the next one will be announced here.

GPS works on GPS time.  The satellites tell you the offset to UTC.  I expect
that offset kicks over at the magic time, but I wouldn't be surprised by
bugs.  Somebody may have data from watching the last time we had one.  (I was
watching a NMEA unit.  It inserted the leap second at midnight GPS time
rather than midnight UTC.)

The PPS is tied to GPS time.  I don't expect any quirks from leap seconds.