[time-nuts] GPS just got very accurate

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:55:49 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,

I have a copy of MS Java but of course it only woks under Windows on
IE. This is not an ideal solution for me as I run Linux and only use
Firefox. If I access the servers web page with an browser running SUN
Java I get all sorts of errors so this is probably out. At the moment
I check its status via VMware running WinXP and that is a bit of a
resource hog doing it that way.

Yes, the freestanding GPS disciplined NTP servers are somewhat rare
but they do come up occasionally as that's how I got mine on ePay.
It's only the Truetime NTS-90 model but it seems to run well and can
be administered via serial line or the web page if you do the MS
thing. There are more versitile modles in the range than my base one
and these can be administered via a keyboard on the front, and an LCD
screen. I tried messing about with all the PPS stuff and kernel
patches but it's not the easiest way to go and one of these servers
works like a dream for what I need on my LAN.

Regards,
Steve