[time-nuts] Time servers on a well known web site.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 9 17:46:32 UTC 2009

> Some of the earlier Linksys WRTG routers are also popular targets for
> home brewed Linux based "appliances", and there is also a lot of
> information about regarding hacking the hardware to include a "real"
> serial port too.  (Seems, the only parts missing are the RS232 line
> drivers, and the 9way D socket!) It's a pity that the availability of
> the early versions that will run Linux etc, are becoming less common.

Early WRT54G boxes had lots (relatively speaking) of RAM/ROM.  To cut costs,
Linksys switched from Linux to ??? and reduced the RAM.

They now make a WRT54GL version that has more RAM.  I assume they charge more
for it, but I haven't checked prices.  When I got one a couple of years ago,
I paid the few extra $ in case I wanted to install non-standard software.

I'm pretty sure the Linux hackers have managed to squeeze things into the
smaller RAM of the newer boxes.

Lots of info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54GL