[time-nuts] Time servers on a well known web site.

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jul 9 20:14:18 UTC 2009

 >> Some of the earlier Linksys WRTG routers are also popular targets for
>> home brewed Linux based "appliances", and there is also a lot of
>> information about regarding hacking the hardware to include a "real"
>> serial port too.  (Seems, the only parts missing are the RS232 line
>> drivers, and the 9way D socket!) It's a pity that the availability of
>> the early versions that will run Linux etc, are becoming less common.
>

> I'm pretty sure the Linux hackers have managed to squeeze things into the
> smaller RAM of the newer boxes.
>
> Lots of info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54GL

There is often a simple hardware hack available to get a (gnd, rx, tx)
serial port on most router/nas/embedded appliances.

I do not remember seeing any that had an input status pin. DCD (pin 1) is
most often used. Thus lacking a good way to use a 1PPS, the serial
interface might be beaten by a USB. We might be leaving time-nut territory
wrt time accuracy anyway.

--

   Björn