[time-nuts] GPS frequency standard help

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jul 11 22:17:10 UTC 2009

>    Once I have a frequency standard running, I'll have to build a
> distribution amplifier for it as well.  I see they are pretty
> expensive  to buy.  Any help would be deeply appreciated.  Until then,
> I'll bounce  around here and try to educate myself some.  I have read
> that HP Z3801  and similar models are easy to use.  There is also a
> Trimble (?) as  well.  I need guidance folks!

I expect you will be happy with either a Z3801A or the Trimble Thunderbolt
(TBolt).

You need an antenna.

The Z3801A was easily available a couple of years ago.  They are less common
now.  There are usually a couple available on eBay.  Recently they have been
coming from China.
  A few days ago Don Garlick announced (on this list) that he is trying to
sell one.

A year or two ago, tvb got a great deal on a batch of TBolts and power
supplies.   Last Tuesday he said he is very close to another batch.  Stay
tuned for details.

TAPR sells a distribution amplifier for ~$100.
  http://tapr.org/kits_tadd-1.html