[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt setup optimization and addinga10811 OCXO

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 06:06:33 UTC 2009

Hi Tom,

>Two questions - Will the internal TI value still be updated  against
>GPS in this case (as it is with the TBolt)?

No, unfortunately not.

There is another (better?) command to manually put the Fury/FireFly units
into holdover mode:

   SYNChronisation:HOLDover:INITiate

To get out of manual holdover, use:

   SYNChronisation:HOLDover:RECovery:INITiate

Pretty obscure commands, I forgot about these.

>And, is there also a mode where you just freeze the DAC, that  is,
>holdover without any compensation (no drift or temp  corrections).
>This being a trick to temporarily maximize short-term  stability, a
>way to most closely resemble a standalone free-running  OCXO.

This can be done in two ways:

1) set both tempco and aging to 0.0, and disable the GPS. This will lock
the DAC in place.

2) turn on the unit, wait ~10 seconds, then enable the reset via jumper.
This will lock the Coarsedac into place, and disable the fine-dac. Absolute
frequency will be off a bit due to the disabled fine-dac.

Option 2) will disable the CPU, and will reduce any noise that the CPU  etc
generates, and thus may be a more Time-nutty way of checking the OCXO just
by itself.

Hope that helps,
bye,
Said