[time-nuts] Accurate Thunderbolt position

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Tue Jul 14 22:49:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:28:10 +0000, Mark Sims wrote:

>Well,  I implemented a test of getting the tbolt to lock in a precise location.  After entering 3D-fix mode,  it would fairly reliably output a location within 1 foot of my surveyed (within 4mm lat/lon) spot within 15 minutes of observations.

>The problem is when I see the location match,  I issue the command to enter position hold mode...  but the receiver takes 2 seconds to get around to processing that command...  during which time it has done two more fixes... which are no longer within the desired error radius...  craptastic.

>I guess I can just keep repeating the process until the receiver stops within the desired radius...  which could  take quite a while (if ever).

Hi mark,
I tend to smile and I was close to laugh when I read
your comment 'craptastic'  and I imagined your face :-))
But I feel with you - I have a old fashioned nice theodite
(Original Zeiss) and I know quite precise my location around
but I tried a lot of time with selfsurvey with TB and put in
finally the statistical value out oft it. Perhaps I should
check it again....will that really never end?
I wish you good luck,

Arnold