[time-nuts] Z38XX software and HP 58503A

Stan swperk at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 18 17:03:21 UTC 2009

I have been using the Z38XX software (thanks Ulrich!) for a while now with
my 58503A and it's worked very well. I recently installed the update that
included the spelling corrections and displayed the date along with the
time, and found to my dismay that this version no longer worked with my
58503A. Later I installed the current update (20090716) with no success,
either. The software appears to be identifying the 58503A, as the response
to the *IDN? command is in the lower right corner of the main window, but
there is no other data collected or displayed. I tried GPSCon and it is
still working fine with the 58503A, so I suspect a change in the Z38XX
software itself is causing this problem. Has anyone else noticed this? If it
turns out that this is a problem that will not be correctable, can someone
point me to an archive with an older version of Z38XX? The most recent
version I used that worked was the first version with the Nixie-style time
display.

Thanks,
Stan