[time-nuts] Where does 28V come from?

n3izn at aol.com n3izn at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 14:25:41 UTC 2009

Most wireless sites will be 28 volts also. Some are switching to the telco standard of -48 which when measured is actually around -56 volts. One reason for going to a higher voltage is, you can use smaller conductors to get same amount of power out.

Not to steal the thread, but any one know why the telephone company choose to use a negative voltage? Where as the positive is referenced to ground? When I was a kid I was told it was because they discovered that the battery terminal would corrode if it was done that way?