[time-nuts] Tbolt not talking

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Jul 23 06:22:18 UTC 2009

Since this problem arises at Windows BOOT time (long before any application software possibly not directly written into XP environments can get active), this is clearly NOT an application program problem.

The problem arises ONLY with external serial devices that send serial information on a regular base without being asked for. During the boot process Windows tries to detect what kind of pointing devices are connected to the serial ports and sarches for mice, trackballs ad so on. With devices that always talk Windows thinks it gets an answer and believes that the device is a mouse or a trackball or whatever. The problem first got discussed with GPS receivers that sent NMEA information with a 1 s timebase. One clue is to limit the searched serial ports by a entry in a Windows Ini-file.

Best regards
Ulrich