[time-nuts] A couple of Tbolt questions

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Thu Jul 23 20:10:29 UTC 2009

Hi Nigel,

>May be,  but does not sound to be very logic to select OCXOs for low noise
>and then  stick the 'low noise' label to the bad parts...

>------------
>Hi Arnold
>
>Many thanks for the photos, which confirmed what I understood from your
>previous comments, that the label doesn't say "low noise", it says "phase
>noise".
>
>Whilst my comment was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek, and I agree
>it's very unlikely they'd use noisier parts in the T'bolt and then  advertise
>the fact, that label as it stands still reminds me more of a  fault label
>than one indicating an attribute.
>
>If you were given a box of these oscillators, some with and some  without
>that label, could you be sure, without further information or  testing, which
>ones might have lower phase noise?

I understood you very well (I sat about 6 years with my good friend
Michael from Portsmouth in our office - practising  best british humor... ;-)  )

So the next step I will do, open my next TB, but I think it is time now to
verify these boxes by real comparative measurements.
Unfortunately I do have no characterized OCXO for reference.
But there are many Thunderbolts around already, and there are many
hi Q references around as well...

regards
Arnold