[time-nuts] Temperature stabilization of a Thunderbolt

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Fri Jul 24 14:41:43 UTC 2009

Hello, Time-Nutters--

Mike Naruta's  AA8K comments about his experiments
to temperature stabilize a Thunderbolt brought to
mind my own initial TB temperature stabilization
experiments.

I placed the TB inside a small 6-pack Styrofoam drink
cooler.  I left the power supply outside and ran
the wires into the TB via a small hole through the
inch-thick wall of the insulated container.  Initially,
I used a laboratory grade quartz thermometer probe
to monitor the temperature and once the internal
temperature stabilized it stayed fixed to well within
a couple of tenths of a degree C.

I suppose that one could refine this technique by
purchasing a thick-wall Styrofoam cooler for a
couple of dollars and cutting small pieces from it
to fabricate a small custom sized insulated box
just big enough to fit the TB inside of.

Mike Baker
WA4HFR
Gainesville, FL. USA