[time-nuts] Thunderbolt temperature measuring

Mats Engstrom mats.engstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 18:14:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been lurking on this list for a long time but now it's time to unlurk.

I don't remember if it's appropriate to introduce oneself on this
list, but I'll do it anyways. :)

I've been tinkering with electronics for some thirty odd years now -
mostly just as a hobby but also occasionally semi-professionally.
Most of my stuff is microcontroller based (AVR and/or PIC) - mostly in
assembly,but C is also ok for some projects - higher level languages
are for whimps :).  I'm Swedish by birth but living and working in
Dubai in the IT/Finance industry since a couple of years.

I just bought a Thunderbolt from flyingbest at Ebay to use as a nice
timebase for my counters and signal gens.  I discovered that it had a
bad DS1620 tempsensor that always reported -55 C so I replaced it with
a thru-hole version that I happened to have some spares of. I then got
a nice 24.xxxxx C temperature readout in Lady Heather. (When I tested
the tbolt without the DS1620 it reported a temperature between -0.5 to
-1.5 C)

Now I'm finally coming to the question: Since I'm using a thru-hole
version of the DS1620 and have to use cables between the chip and the
circuit board I could possibly extend the cables a bit so I can glue
(with a non termo-insulating glue) the chip onto the ocxo itself to
have a tighter coupling between them.  Would that improve the
stability or is it better to just measure the air temperature in the
box?

/mats