[time-nuts] FE-5680A heat sink

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Jun 9 03:38:31 UTC 2009

Hi Leigh,

I just looked at a manual for an EG&G Rb standard module, and their spec
is for -55C ambient to +68C baseplate.  They had another spec that said
MTBF >90,000 hours at 40C baseplate.  Your FEI unit probably has a similarly
worded spec.

To me this means that the ideal (expected) temperature for the baseplate is 40C.

If you are intending to operate your Rb block in a home environment, that
has conditioned air, you can assume that the ambient temperature will be
nominally 25C.  I would start from that point, simply attach the
block to the chassis, and measure the operating temperature of the baseplate.
If it is around 40C, great!  If it is much above 40C, you might want to add a
heatsink.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get below 40C.

You can calculate the heatsink size knowing only the ambient temperature,
and the power demand of the Rb block.  But for operation in a civilized
area, it is easier just to try a simple experiment.

-Chuck Harris