[time-nuts] E1938 question

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jun 11 23:24:21 UTC 2009

Dan Rae wrote:
> I have one of the "Chinese" E1938 modules I bought about a month ago.
> I just tried it out on the bench, and have not had much luck with it.
> The 5 Volt supply never goes above 50 mA or so, none of the heaters
> seem to be powered looking at the "hockey puck" D-sub connector pins.
> The four leds up by the PIC (?) seem to flash once on switch on and
> then pulse about once a second.  The other led which seems to be on
> the 5 V supply is on.  It does oscillate, but very low since it never
> warms up.
>
> Is there any point in my trying to go any further with this?  It seems
> pretty dead to me, the PIC maybe?   :^(
>
> Nice museum piece perhaps, but a bit expensive for only that...
>
> Dan
>
> ac6ao

When operating correctly:

1) The green power led near the heater PMOSFETS should be on continuously

2) The green led at the other end of the board should flash at 1Hz.

3) The oven takes several minutes to warm up and the outer oven shell
should be noticeably warm.

If other LEDs are flashing the PIC may be locked in the wrong mode.
This state can sometimes be cleared by resetting the PIC by powering it
down and restarting.

Bruce