[time-nuts] HP5370A self test fault characteristics and diagnosis

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 06:54:24 UTC 2009

Hi Bruce,
I once had a similar problem with AD595 theromcouple IC's we had a whole bunch of them on a car when suddenly 2 at the rear kept failing. After the third failure I investigated further and it looked like on all 3 the feedback pin(8)had gone open circuit. I prised them open and on each, the bondwire had broken. We put this down to noise levels or possibly local supersonic buffeting exciting a resonance in that particular bond wire. A "blob" of high temperature RTV on the chip seemed to cure the problem. Hermetic packages have their own issues.

Robert G8RPI.