[time-nuts] Satellite Glitch Rekindles GPS Concerns

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 19 09:40:35 UTC 2009

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi again Mike:
>
> The IIR-2 satellite was launched in order to meet a deadline rather
> than when it was truly fully operational.  The L5 module is an add on
> and can not run at full power.  So this is not a representative of the
> future sats.
First of all, it's the IIR-20(M). If you look at the article it has both
variants, so I think it is just an editorial mistake.

The problem is how the L1 tracking is affected. Exactly what mecanism
shifts the L1 signal is unclear in the material I have seen, but L1
seems shifted. Depending on the elevation in the sky, this shift is more
or less apparent.

Cheers,
Magnus