[time-nuts] Ideas for a long-wave receiver sought

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 22 16:13:01 UTC 2009

200kHz is a bit tricky for the top end.. That probably puts the standard music recording A/D out of the picture (although they have very high performance A/Ds in them, and because of large production volume, they're relatively inexpensive).

Almost any PC these days has enough processor to take a 400 ksps stream of samples and filter/decimate it.
Maybe the boards from the HPSDR folks might serve?

Do you need continuous stream of samples? One of the eval boards for high performance A/Ds with a USB might work for you, but last time I checked, they were more oriented to "capture a buffer, then analyze" sorts of approaches.

Your best long range approach might be to use a high quality A/D with a small FPGA behind it that implements a digital down converter, feeding the (lower rate after downconversion/filtering) samples through USB to an application like DL4YHF's spectrum lab.  DL4YHF is very interested in VLF receiving, and he might have good ideas on inexpensive approaches.
http://freenet-homepage.de/dl4yhf/spectra1.html