[time-nuts] Orbiting crystals

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Sun Jun 28 22:23:12 UTC 2009

James Lux wrote:

> Ah.. That's easy.. Pretty much every satellite in orbit derives its transmit
> frequency from a crystal oscillator, either a TCXO or a OCXO.  So all you
> have to do is pick a LEO satellite that is easy to receive and measure the
> transmitted frequency, and that is at a frequency where other effects won't
> dominate (ionospheric uncertainties, for instance, probably rule out VHF and
> UHF downlinks).

Hi James,

that's easy for you at Nasa! You have rotary antennas, good receivers and so on...
I thought to GPS sats because there are cheap receivers all around, and hoped
the 1 PPS would tell something, so freeing me from considering doppler, relativity etc.

Anyway, please let me know if you find any easily detectable signals that doesn't
require a tracking antenna.

Bye,
Antonio I8IOV