[time-nuts] GPSDO project

Brad Dye brad at braddye.com
Mon Jun 29 13:08:15 UTC 2009

Many thanks to all who responded to my request for help on this project.

The SDR-IQ (http://www.rfspace.com/SDR-IQ.html) already has a built-in
66.6667 MHz osc, I just want to make it more stable and reasonably
accurate, as I use it as a general coverage HF receiver with a one-
Hertz read-out. There is a place for a surface-mount jack on the PC
board -- so that an external osc can be used -- although this feature
is not promoted by the manufacturer. This SDR does most of its own
processing in hardware and doesn't rely on a computer sound card as
much as some SDRs do.

There was one response, offering a kit to do what I need, but it
requires more test equipment for tuning and calibration than what I
have available. I am still looking for a simple, completed oscillator
that will accept 10 MHz from a Thunderbolt GPS receiver and supply
66.66666 MHz for my SDR as described here:

http://www.braddye.com/gps_do.html

My background is in radio paging where we use GPS receivers to keep
our 900 MHz transmitters on frequency for simulcast operation. I
really appreciate the time everyone took to offer suggestions.

73s

Brad Dye, K9IQY
Springfield, Illinois