[time-nuts] Orbiting crystals

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 29 18:35:53 UTC 2009

I think the idea was to look for jumps in a crystal oscillator when it goes through the shadow of a total eclipse. My original suggestion was to look for LEO satellites which had conveniently monitorable oscillator frequencies. Someone else suggested using Inmarsat (because they have a L-band pilot tone), but I think the Inmarsat birds are in Clarke orbit, so you'd have to pick your ground station location (essentially in line with the sun and the bird) to do the test.