[time-nuts] Plug and play GPSDOs was:(no subject)

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:32:23 UTC 2009

Yes, you can just leave the unit running without much problem,  but what works really well is to use an old laptop as a permanent monitoring device.   You can get them for around 20 bucks...  Lady Heather was created for Thunderbolt just such a situation.   Much more entertaining and informative than das blinkenlights.  There are DOS and Windows versions available in the download at:

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/heather/readme.htm

The Chinese suppliers seem to do quite well.  Fluke.l has a good rep.  I have also bought from flyingbest without any problem (but I have had problems getting responses to emails).  The TAPR units (when available) have the distinct advantage of having Tom Van Baak give them the evil eye once over before being shipped.

I was thinking of setting up in a fixed position and leaving on
permanently. But then if there's a power cut?

Do you know if the China supplier is OK? Or any source in the UK of
Thunderbolt?