[time-nuts] GPS disciplined mechanical clocks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Mar 4 17:32:47 UTC 2009

> Has anyone looked at locking an old mechanical clock to precise time?

The Amateur Scientist, Scientific American, Sep 1974, had an article on doing
that to a pendulum clock.

They put a small magnet on the pendulum.  It was out on a stick so it could
poke through a coil without the pendulum or arm getting in the way.

I asked about it on this list several years ago.  You might check the
archives.  Somebody scanned in the article.  I have 2 pdfs.  One is 17 MB.
The other is 300K but needs a newer pdf reader.  One or the other may be
online someplace.

Google just found this:
  http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/wooden-wall-clock-pendulum-quartz-movement/
It's a pseudo old clock, but that probably solves all the mechanical issues.

PS: You get some weird stuff if you google for >pendulum quartz<.