[time-nuts] About HP10544A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 11 03:30:46 UTC 2009

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Esa Heikkinen wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce...
>>

>>> Try increasing C2 and C8 in the white emitter follower circuit schematic
>>> to 100nF.
>>>

>> Doesn't seems to change anything:
>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-15.png
>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-16.png
>>
>> When doing this measurement I noticed that the 3rd and higher harmonics
>> level are changing! First I thought that the capacitor change was some
>> effect on harmonics but then those peaks come back...
>>
>> Time domain analysis about 3rd harmonic level gave some explanation:
>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-17.png
>>
>> The EF circuit was turned on at start of sweep. Something is heating and
>> raising the harmonic level. The bump and the end of sweep is a test
>> where I momentary switch off the 12V feed to the EF circuit to see how
>> it reacts.
>>
>> Temperature sensitivity was also verified with cold spray:
>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-18.png
>>
>> Well, that's not an issue but makes measurements harder because even
>> without any changes the results can differ. However the temperature
>> effect on the 2nd harmonic frequency was very small.
>>
>>  > The switcher sidebands will still be there, they are just buried in
>>  > the spectrum analyser noise floor.
>>
>> Yes you're right. Just changed some settings and there they are again:
>> http://www.amigazone.fi/files/gpsdo/544-19.png
>>
>> About 90 dB below carrier.. I would say that it's good enough! The LPRO
>> for example, gives higher spuriouses, but far away from fundamental.
>>
>>  > Does the board use the recommended LC filters and regulator for the
>>  > oscillator supply as depicted in Figure 3 on the 10544A data sheet?
>>
>> I haven't analyzed it fully but it seems to be just the datasheet
>> circuit having LM723, 10 uH coil etc. But it's layout is totally wrong
>> because oven switcher current runs via wrong trace. It would also been
>> possible to have other side as grouding copper but this was not done.
>> The PCB is manufactured by Cubic western data.
>>
>>  > The required parts shouldn't be too expensive, however you may need
>>  > to wind your own inductors for the series tuned LC circuits.
>>  > Air core or powdered iron core inductors should be OK as long as you
>>  > use shields between filter sections etc.
>>
>> Sounds like hard. How it's possible that lower grade ocxo's (like in
>> thunderbolt) output so much better spectrum? Is it all about ocxo output
>> driver circuit? Would it be easier to modify the 10544A itself than
>> trying to clean the distortion? Has anyone tried that kind of modification?
>>

> Esa
>
> The circuit that is used to extract and buffer the signal from the
> crystal oscillator can have a significant effect on the distortion.
> In the case of the 10544A the cascode buffer contributes most of the
> distortion.
> The emitter follower contribution to distortion with a 1k load is much
> [...]
Esa

Attached circuit schematic for the While emitter follower optimises the
bias circuit frequency response.
The bias circuit has a bandwidth of around 40kHz so that will reduce the
effect of flicker noise should RF transistors be substituted for the 3
transistors comprising the white emitter follower.
The modifications also remove peaking in the bias circuit frequency
response.

Bruce