[time-nuts] Shrinking Atomic Clocks

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 23:54:56 UTC 2009

this appears to be from the website/magazine New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126994.900-time-to-shrink-the-atomic-clock.html

after reading several of his(Anil's) other articles:

http://www.newscientist.com/search?rbauthors=Anil+Ananthaswamy

none of them seem to be particularity insightful or well-researched.
Especially since the focus (pun intended)of his article seems to me to
be the use of lasers to trap atoms and he neglects to mention that the
use of lasers is crucial to how fountain clocks operate.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Mike S <mikes at flatsurface.com> wrote:
> At 05:46 PM 3/15/2009, Thomas A. Frank wrote...
>>14 March 2009 by Anil Ananthaswamy
>>ATOMIC clocks, currently the size of fridges,
>
> A 40 year old HP 5060A is smaller than a small refrigerator.
>
> I challenge Anil to tell us what fridge he's thinking of which is the
> size of an Efratom FRS. (Although you could easily make one using a
> peltier cooler, that's clearly not what he meant to imply.)
>
> The article and headline hype a reduction in size, but there's no
> detail about that, just that it "could be used in space-based
> experiments," and we already have atomic clocks in space.
>
> What "magazine" was this from?
>
> (Anil obviously missed the real significance, which is a potential
> increase in accuracy, not a decrease in size)

--Eric