[time-nuts] Loran-C & French Clocks

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 23:07:39 UTC 2009

Magnus and all,

interestlingly the discussion about GMT seem to be a never ending
story, all over the world. As I know GMT was already renamed  in
the year 1925 ( or 1928 acc. other source ) to UT and
"universal time coordinated" (U T C) (that) is standard since
January 1, 1972. acc. "About the Time" :

http://www.fai.org/astronautics/time.asp ,
look into the short overview to this history.

"Does anyone know the exact difference between GMT and UTC?"
- this question seem to be already very old, Magnus.

Richard B. Langley wrote a summary trying to give the right
answer with "A Few Facts Concerning GMT, UT, and the RGO ".

His article can be found here:
http://www.apparent-wind.com/gmt-explained.html

It summarizes:
"The Greenwich mean time, GMT, has today only an historical
interest. It has been abandoned since the thirties for successively
 the T U 1, the T U 2 and finally, in 1972, for the much more regular
universal time coordinated, U T C, that must be used
for all present use." !

That is what I thought as well quite a while.
But I had to change ever so often all kind of scientific and
technical units, and I see the need to adopt it, I am sure we have
to be open for more steps into the future. Learning will never end...!

Arnold