[time-nuts] GPS IIR-20 Launched

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 24 21:08:38 UTC 2009

> I see that jargon and a combination of business and space
> 'speak' is still something that goes on.
>
> For instance is "a unified Delta II and GPS team that
> sustained a laser focus on mission success" just two groups
> who worked together to make sure that the 'stuff' worked?

A manager I worked for had the comment, when asked about focusing like a laser on something, replied: you want to be careful about thermal blooming.

> And does "The GPS constellation is being modernized to
> improve operations, sustainment, and overall performance of
> GPS services for the warfighter, international, commercial
> and civil users. These improved capabilities ensure GPS
> remains the gold standard for positioning, navigation and
> timing service" mean that the GPS system will be useful for
> the military and other people, and make sure that it works
> more efficiently?

Warfighters, international users, commercial users, and civil users are all "stakeholders" and need their mention.  Just like in the Academy Awards (I'd like to thank the Academy, my producer, my family, my hairdresser, etc). I suppose that missileers, the original consumers of GPS services, fit in the warfighter category.

And, you forgot improved capabilities.. That's not just efficient.. It means "better than those other services" in not so many words<grin>

If GPS is the gold standard, I wonder what the silver standard for Positioning, nav, and Timing is? Transit? What about celestial observations.