[time-nuts] GPS PRN5 reported as unhealthy

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 27 23:32:57 UTC 2009

Chris Kuethe skrev:
> NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2009023 NANU TYPE: GENERAL
> *** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS ***
> GPS SATELITE SVN 35 (PRN05) WAS SET UNUSABLE ON JDAY 085 (26 MAR 2009)
> AT 1320Z.  SVN 35 (PRN05) WAS DECOMMISSIONED FROM ACTIVE SERVICE ON JDAY
> 085 (26 MAR 2009) AT 2031Z.  PRN 05 WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR FUTURE
> SATELLITE SERVICE.
> *** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS ***

I think I recall a side-comment on it as being "shakey". Besides, they
need to move it out of the way eventually in a decommissioning movement
so that the slot becomes empty for the next launch. Launched in Aug 1993
it is to be expected I guess.

They should be up to 31 sats in a couple of weeks. Far beyond the 24
sats which a "full constellation" needs according to old specs.

Cheers,
Magnus