[time-nuts] Data Precision 8200 Voltage Standard

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Tue May 5 14:09:05 UTC 2009

Realize a voltage standard post might be a little off-topic, but have seen
them discussed quite a bit, so here goes.

We have a Data Precision 6-1/2 digit voltage and current standard, which
seems to operate except for the function of the front panel voltage
selection.  The mode and +/- voltage switch work fine.  We do have the
service manual, and the switches are read by the microprocessor.  After
checking the signals associated with the switches (read signals are
generated by the uP, and read back on the data bus) my best guess is the the
uP code my not be working correctly.

The processor in this unit is a ROMed R6500/1 (cousin of the 6502).  I fear
that perhaps a bit in the ROM is being read incorrectly (in the switch read
routine).  My guess is that there is no way to read the code out of this
part.

If any time nuts have a parts unit laying around I would like to try
swapping the processor to confirm my theory.  My next check will be to
adjust Vcc up and down and take some freeze spray to the processor to see if
I can find a point that it will operate, however, that will certainly not
provide a fix.

Any help appreciated.

Skip Withrow