[time-nuts] GPS->audio interface

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun May 10 17:48:02 UTC 2009

I'm looking for a way to take GPS time and generate a signal that can be recorded on the audio track of a video recording to time stamp it. This is so it can be aligned with other data that's collected with GPS based time.  It needs to be portable/small (i.e. Something you could attach to a small camcorder, or such).

Seems that a GPS->IRIG B interface would work, but I was wondering if someone has done this already (e.g. Someone must have made a IRIG encoder in a PIC or similar)..

Another alternate is if something like a iPhone records accurate time with the video stream. (another of the data sources is an iPhone recording something else)

I think the basic requirement is accuracy to some few milliseconds (e.g. Frame rate of the video)..

(It's for a high school science project, where they want to record various things, and line them up.. I think they could deal with looking at the timestamps over many frames to do interpolation)

Anyway, cheap and cheerful consumer gear is what is sought. (so no suggestions of synthesizing SMPTE from the output of my Z3801 and feeding it to a RED camera.. We're talking AIPtek and iPhone here..)

Jim Lux