[time-nuts] GPS->audio interface

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon May 11 22:02:07 UTC 2009

I've not seen a description of the real problem, only that it needs to
be small and cheap.

Cheap I can do (as in free) since I have too many time code
generators/receivers.

IRIG-B is a 1 KHz audio time code designed to be recorded for a time
reference.
The Datum units are 1.75" rack-mount boxes weighing 10 pounds or so,
about 16" deep.
Each box has a time display, which is settable for a generator.

It would be possible to transmit the audio to the cameras using cheap
walkie-talkies.
Each recording could have its own time code receiver to display the time
from the video,
if necessary. Otherwise, the generator box can act as a receiver.

The units use small-scale integrated circuits from the '70s. It is
possible to rewire them.

Let me know if this is useful. Shipping from Minneapolis, MN 55438, or
the flea market on the 15th.

Bill Hawkins