[time-nuts] Brandywine GPS-4

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue May 12 11:46:07 UTC 2009

Jeroen Bastemeijer skrev:
> Dear All,
>
> I decided to switch on my Brandywine GPS-4 after some time on the shelf.
> After start-up it takes some time, then the Alarm-LED starts flashing...
> When I look at the data coming from the serial port it keeps saying
> "L=load ESC=run". Unfortunately the unit doesn't respond to any command :-(

A few comments from my own flimsy attempts...

Using a straight 9 pin cable to the PC does not work well. The serial
port needs to the cut out so the other signals does not confuse things.

Also, check the serial configuration details. The manual gives details
on how the DIP switch should be set.

The GPS4 has a FLASH and a EPROM image, so you could have entered the
backup EPROM image flash download mode.

You just reminded me that I need to make some more serious attempts to
get it up and running with serial interface too. It locks up without
serial cable, so it is only me messing with it.

The GPS4 can be modified to be used for external clock steering of OCXO
and Rubidium sources, just as the Thunderbolt can.

Cheers,
Magnus