[time-nuts] Unloading time-nuts stuff at a flea market inPlymouth MN

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Wed May 13 05:08:25 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Pretty serious, just for hobby stuff.  I'm just getting into precision time
keeping in the last 6 months or so.  A buddy of mine gave me a Tektronix
2901 time mark generator a while back which I was about to use to cal some
of my scopes when it hit me that I really have no way to know that IT is in
cal.  From there I it went all wrong!   I built a custom ntp server for work
(copied TVB's Soekris system but used a home-made gps receiver board (Lassen
iQ receiver)), use  a rubidium oscillator for my in-house (literally)
frequency standard, am waiting on the next set of Thunderbolt gpsdo's to
become available, etc.   In other words, I caught the bug.  I'm currently
wrestling with an Austron 2000C loran receiver which I was hoping to use to
cal my rubidium osc. but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  The manual
describes something other than what I see on 3 different scopes so I don't
think it's my scopes that are the problem.  At this point I'm just going to
hold out for the Thunderbolt but wouldn't mind a Cs standard.  I was bidding
on an HP unit but was very very quickly outbid once news of it hit the list.

I'm also a ham operator working on microwave amplifier projects, HF tube
amps, and various other things.  I even go to work when I have time for it.

I'll go through the list of stuff to weed out what I really can't use, but I
am interested in the vast majority of it.

As far as trades go, I'm more of the hoarding type than trading type  I'm
sure you understand this :).  I have some old sgi computer equipment but
past that stuff I can't really part with much.  A buddy of mine said he was
giving me a spiffy Fluke kelvin-varley divider / precision meter (10
digits?) but that never manifested.  I'm not a volt nut (yet) and I haven't
had much need past 3 decmal places, let alone the 6.5 my Keithly gives me so
I have no need for it if it does land in my hands.  My test equipment is
barely adequate to support all the stuff I do so I tend to borrow and beg
for things depending on the project.

My finances are tied up because I just moved but I am catching up.  Let me
know if you decide to come out this way, or I can meet you half way or
something.   I'm not in any rush.

-Bob