[time-nuts] Brandywine GPS-4

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Wed May 13 06:57:00 UTC 2009

Hello Hal,

The serial connection is not the problem (unfortunately). It seems a
thermal problem.... When I switch on the unit it takes a couple of
minutes before the Error-LED starts flashing. Doing a "fast" power-cycle
immediately gives an error-warning (the red-LED start flashing almost
immediately after switch-on). When I let the unit cool down for some
time (say ten minutes) it takes a couple of minutes before the error-LED
comes on.

What I will try next is use some cool-spray on the DC-DC converters and
see if that gives any change in the behaviour.

To my opninion everything inside gets quite warm... Maybe it is a bad
capacitor (high ESR).

Is there any other good source for technical information on these units
(schematics, service docs etc.)? Except for the manual wihich is on
Didiers page?

73 Jeroen PE1RGE