[time-nuts] Linux time servers

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri May 15 21:24:25 UTC 2009

>> >What would be interesting is how a specific linux-kernel with the pps
>> >patches by rodolpho compare to a specific freebsd version with the same
>> >ntpd compiled using the same gcc and such.
>>
>> I think first of all, it would be interesting what your quality
>> parameters are...
>>
>> Prescision ?
>> Resolution ?
>> Reliability ?
>
> Reliability is, I think, for me the most important. E.g. that it doesn't
> jitter all over the place and that the jitter is also as constant as
> possible.
>

> Folkert van Heusden

For my daytime use of ntp, convergence in less than 5 minutes is
essential. Due to some unusual peripherials, that often have drivers
dictating a certain kernel version its is often impossible to find a linux
kernel version that support both the proprietary drivers and decent
ntp-server performance.

--

   Björn