[time-nuts] more 5370B

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat May 23 22:10:01 UTC 2009

Results from a quick test.  A very quiet 12V, 150mA, 5 inch fan placed 2 inches from the heat sink dropped that 58C spot down to 40C.  Not as much as I had expected.  That hot spot is near the center of the outside fin of the heat sink.

Those inner fins between the transistors are quite a bit cooler...  now the heat sink averages a pleasantly warm 34C instead of 50+C.  It does look like adding an external fan would be beneficial.

I also tried a tiny 2",  12V, 100mA fan.  It gave an overall temp of around 40C.  Even though it is  much smaller and about as noisy as the big fan,  it produces a higher frequency whine that is rather annoying for such a small thing.