[time-nuts] PCI IRIG receiver card for AIX?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu May 28 15:08:31 UTC 2009

And depending on what you mean by "industrial grade", they also have
the bc635 board in a CompactPCI form-factor, too.  Or at least they
used to some years ago.

I don't know what sort of drivers they have for AIX.  I didn't use
their drivers for FreeBSD (3.0 back at the time), but you could
probably cobble up a pretty minimal driver or use existing OS
facilities to just memory-map the PCI device registers which
you can manipulate from user space.  As I recall, when you perform
a read-access on one of the registers, it will latch a 64 bit
timestamp into two other device registers that you can read at
your leisure.  There are other capabilities, like programmable
interrupt generation that the board can perform, too.

On interesting experiment I did with the bc635 was to program it
to generate an interrupt, and then latch the time in the
interrupt service routing to measure interrupt latency.  Pretty
scary sometimes..

louie