[time-nuts] Ashtech Z-12-R Operation?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri May 29 19:00:23 UTC 2009

> Hi:
>
> I got an Ashtech Z-12-R that powers up and displays the start up screen, see:
> http://www.prc68.com/I/AshtechZ12.shtml
>
> But it does not progress or respond to button presses.  Does someone have a pdf
> manual or know how to kick start one of these?

Brooke,

My Z12-T requires an external 20 MHz reference clock; I'm not
familiar with your -R model but it too may require this. It's not
uncommon for high-end geodetic-grade timing receivers to rely
on an external clock (e.g., cesium or maser). The idea is that
all received GPS signals are referenced to a real external clock
instead of an internal or virtual gps clock, or something like that.

So try that first. The quality of the 20 MHz is not important just
to see if it starts working. But clearly, to get good results, you'll
want to lock your 20 MHz to something atomic.

When I got my Z12 I played a bit with how to get 20 MHz. See:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/20mhz/

/tvb