[time-nuts] Reference oscillator accuracy

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 17:48:19 UTC 2009

You will need a receiver to compare your references to.  It appears that
LORAN will be shut off, so that leaves two services available, either
WWV 60 Khz or GPS.  I do not use WWV any more, I can tell you about GPS.

To compare against GPS you will need a timing receiver, there are
several available.  A lot of us got Motorola Oncore VPs, UTs, or M12+,
The Rockwell Jupiter is one and there are several more.  They provide a
1 PPS signal that is locked to the on board standards on the GPS
satellite.  You put this signal in one input of a time interval
counter.  You use a 1 PPS divider on your local reference and put its
signal in the other input of the time interval counter.   You can record
continuous or take daily 24 hour readings and derive your drift rates.

GPS corrections are published at NIST;
http://tf.nist.gov/service/gpstrace.htm

You can also compare against a GPS disciplined oscillator.  In the long
term it should be dead on, you will have to have it characterized for
the short term.  The HP Z3801A was on the surplus market several years
back, its probably one of the best.  The Trimble Thunderbolts were
available to the group a while back.

Brian KD4FM