[time-nuts] Reference oscillator accuracy

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sat Nov 14 03:01:35 UTC 2009

I asked a close friend and fellow engineering alum who was deeply involved
in GPS and he thinks closing down LORAN is utterly idiotic.

IMO, there is something purely political, rather than technical, about
this decision.

Perhaps the GPS "stakeholders" don't want to admit just how vulnerable GPS
is to jamming (and hence a backup is not needed), just as software vendors
don't want to admit security holes or banks want to admit that millions
are stolen through computer fraud.

FWIW,
-John

BTW, Sloan is a school of Management, NOT Engineering. There is a VERY big
difference.