[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Nov 15 17:23:12 UTC 2009

Thanks Chuck,

My point EXACTLY.

1. It's well within the capability of dozens of countries or organizations
or even individuals.

2. They are trivial to distribute widely, and could be piggy-backed onto
other things.

3. Given enough of them with random on-off cycles, you'd force a giant
game of Whak-A-Mole.

A guy in his basement could easily build 100 in a week given a design and
PCB layout. In another week he could scatter them all over a city, even if
travelling by bus. The whole operation would cost under a few thousand
dollars.

Furthermore, it would not be needed to kill all the GPS in an area, all
the time. Making it unreliable would likely be enough.

FWIW,
-John