[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Nov 16 02:22:50 UTC 2009

I think the problem with the Monterey Bay jammer was that he was jamming the
DGPS correction signal, not the GPS signal itself. The DGPS correction
signal is sent over the UHF band. Most marine GPS are DGPS because they need
the better resolution it provides, particularly to find buoys and channel
markers in the fog. The DGPS correction signal does not benefit from the
spread-spectrum modulation and associated jamming resistance of the GPS
signal itself.

Didier