[time-nuts] Rubidium standard / MTBF

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Nov 19 12:56:27 UTC 2009

Hi

Just to put some numbers on this stuff:

A typical TV has a design goal of a > 5 year lifetime. A "premium" TV has a design goal of a > 10 year lifetime. The theory is that if it doesn't last that long, the customer will not buy another one from your brand.

Here in the US, most cell phones get swapped at the end of the two year contract. It's a real good bet that they are designed to have a 2 year lifespan at around the 90 to 95% level. Again, same theory, if it dies we won't sell another one. I suspect the return rate also gets written into the contracts with the carriers.

There are a whole lot of normal use assumptions in their calculations. You could debate the details for a *long* time.

The one that I find the most shocking is the very major internet hardware company that considers 5 years of continuos use to be the goal. The logic - we want them to swap out the gear regularly....

Bottom line - your TV may be more reliable than your internet connection ...

Crazy stuff

Bob