[time-nuts] OT - GPS and North

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 21 18:43:59 UTC 2009

mike cook wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Magnus Danielson"
> <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org>

Yes, but you don't know in what direction from the unidirectional
antenna. The antenna has no sense of direction, but the receiver knows
very well in what direction relative north each sat is. The NMEA stream
even include the coarse directions.

If you has a steerable directional antenna, several antennas or moveable
antenna, then you can convert the internal directions of the antenna
into a north heading or heading towards anything else.

But a normal unidirectional GPS antenna and associated receiver will be
able to know where it is and from it provide very high precision
direction relative north, but unless you move it or make any other form
of aid, it will not be able to show the heading... but when you move
around in with the car, then it can show it relative to the current
heading of the car... as that forms a vector for which you can relate an
angle... to north or to your intended destination.

Cheers,
Magnus