[time-nuts] OT - GPS and North

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 19:33:07 UTC 2009

Yes, found this patent :

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2008/0186232.html

"A method and radio navigation system compass apparatus for determining true north or azimuth or orientation of a vehicle or the like by the use of integrated Loran and satellite radio navigation receivers employing crossed-loop H-field antennas for the Loran reception, or the use of at least three Loran type transmitter, or two Loran type transmitter and a synchronized clock for determining both position and azimuth. "

synergy, the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts

Both GPS and loran depend on the phase/frequency/time accuracy of their source, but I wonder if other signals not as accurate but maybe short-term stable could be used to improve combined stability such as TV and radio transmitters. With such a large source of possible transmitters comparison of them to GPS and loran to pick a few good ones to add both hold-over from gps and or loran loss. For example a CDMA cell site that is dependent on GPS would slowly deteriorate if GPS was lost, but a large number of CDMA cell sites would continue to work if they could be synced to another source.

Besides the hold over capability I would be interested in ways to combine as many independent sources to improve accuracy like the use of more accurate frequency sources to improve GPS accuracy:
http://plan.geomatics.ucalgary.ca/papers/ENC06_Paper74_WatsonetAl_v3Web.pdf

Or maybe a time-nut antidote would be better ;-)

Stanley