[time-nuts] Thunderbolt reception problems

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 20:13:21 UTC 2009

In a message dated 22/11/2009 19:45:35 GMT Standard Time, SAIDJACK at aol.com
writes:

changing  the AMU thresholds to 2.0 as suggested by Warren fixed the
problem,  the unit is now working properly, thanks much for the hint. And
no,  this
was not obvious to me.

Hi Said

Just out of interest, what levels of AMU are you seeing reported?

According to Trimble's Thunderbolt Monitor version 2.6 the six satellites
I'm tracking right now are showing AMU values of over 40 and another stops
tracking when its AMU drops to approx 33 but starts tracking again at  a
reported AMU of approx 36 to 37.

My signal level mask is set to 4.0, and I don't seem to have  had any
problems because of that, but I'm intrigued as to the actual  relationship
between the quantity described as the signal level  mask and the reported AMU
levels.
I would have assumed the units to be the same but that doesn't seem to  be
the case.

OK, so I've just dropped the threshold to 2.0 and am now tracking eight
satellites, with the reported levels for the one mentioned above still varying
 as before and another just below  30 with neither dropping out, but I'm
still non the wiser as  to the actual value of the set threshold in terms of
the reported AMU  levels.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR