[time-nuts] Thunderbolt reception problems

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 07:09:40 UTC 2009

Some of the disagreement has to do with the fact that Two similar topics, each with a different answer are being mixed together here.

Magnus's point:
1) How to make the Tbolt the best that it can be?
Answer: Start with a good strong signal and a quiet environment.

Said's situation:
2) How to make the Tbolt work the best that it can with a less than optimized existing setup.
Answer: Lower the AMU to 1, rise the elevation to 15or20, increase the TC setting to 500 sec.
(It will work better than when the factory defaults are use with the #1 case above)

Interesting enough, I have both cases with optimized setting running on my bench now and although the #1 is generally about 25% to 50% quieter,
It is not always so.  About 25% of the time the #2 case is as quiet or quieter.  So the less than perfect #2 case is not really a big deal to most.
There are much more important things that can be done if one likes to 'tweak & fiddle'.

concerning:
> that you may not get the performance of the spec-sheet.
Not a problem, cause they seem careful not to include any specs concerning this except for the 1e-12 per day average.

ws