[time-nuts] Isolated jacks and ground loops

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Mon Nov 30 19:52:26 UTC 2009

Hi,

Can any one steer me to an explanation of the following setup.

I think I understand the capacitor but not the resistor.

In the 106D DMTD unit I have, the BNC jacks are of the isolated variety.

The center pin and the shield both come out to pins on the rear of the
connector.

On the mixer input a coax runs from these two pins all the way to the two
floating mixer input pins on the RF side.

So far so good but under the BNC mounting nut is a serrated lug that is
connecting to the chassis ground.

Connected between this chassis ground and the BNCs shield pin are a 50
ohm resistor in parallel with a .1uf capacitor.

My understanding is that the capacitor will shunt any RF on the shield to
chassis ground, but what does the resistor do?

I'm getting the hardware together to change over to SMA on the critical
connections and ran into this question.

Thanks!

Corby Dawson